Constructive Feedback Friday

Iheartfaces.com hosts Feedback Friday every week. This week they were inviting people to give feedback on Photoshop tweaks of their photos. They limited it to 40 people and I just missed out. But I was browsing others photos. Here is the easiest way for me to provide feedback - just playing around with it myself - here is a before and after.

boy_constr_feedback

The photographer's main complaint with her photo were the shadows on her boy's face. To this photo I:


  • I selected the red of the hat using the Quick Selection Tool and made that a seperate layer so that it wasn't effected so much by the following three steps
  • I pulled down the grey on the levels slider (this took away a lot of shadows)
  • I did an S curve in Curves paying close attention to the lighting of the face
  • I did an unsharp mask on the photo at about 100%
  • I merged my layers
  • I did an unsharp mask just for the eyes at about 150% just to get the glint in the eye. Then I applied a mask (alt-mask button - the square with a circle in it). And painted just the glinty area of the eyes till I liked the effect.
  • I set up a grid and moved the photo so that it centered around the right third (see next post on the Guideline Of Thirds)
  • I did a hue/saturation layer to JUST slightly desaturate the photo
  • I played with slight adjustments to color balance and selective color and brightness/contrast.
  • Finally, I ran a 9% warming filter (bluish tint) to warm up the photo a bit.


Here was my final version:

boy_constr_feedback_rev

1 comment:

Katarina said...

Wow! Thanks. I really like the finished photo, and your instructions helped!